Curried Chicken with Tomato Cream
- 3 tbsps Ghee (Substitute with vegetable oil if needed)
- 3 lbs Chicken Thighs
- 2 tbsps Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 6 pieces Garlic (Minced)
- 2 tbsps Ginger (Minced)
- 2 tbsps Tomato Paste
- 2 tsps Garam Masala
- 2 tsps Cumin
- 2 tsps Coriander
- 2 tsps Ground Tumeric
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cardamom
- 4 cups Chicken Broth (Low sodium broth is preferred )
- 1 lb Yellow Potato (Diced into 1/4 inch chunks)
- 1 cup Tomato Puree
- 1/2 cup Organic Coconut Milk (Lite coconut milk )
- Gather all ingredients and equipment.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ghee and allow the pan to heat.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides. Add the chicken thighs to pan, skin side down and sear on both sides until golden brown (8-10 minutes) *Note: You may need to sear the chicken in batches, do not over crowd the pan.
- Remove the seared chicken thighs from the pan and transfer them to a 4-6 quart slow cooker, reserve for later use. Place the pan back over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and ginger to the pan and cook until the onion starts to become translucent, about 8-10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and the dried spices and cook until the tomato paste begins to darken, about 4 minutes. Transfer the tomato-spice mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth, potatoes, tomato puree and coconut milk to the slow cooker, stir to combine. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender and chicken is falling off the bone, 6-8 hours.
- Divide stew among bowls and top with a tablespoon of yogurt and sprinkle cilantro leaves on top. Enjoy!