Massaged Kale & Quinoa Salad
Massaging the kale helps to break down the fibrous tissue which helps give the kale a delicate mouth feel. Add grilled chicken or fish to the salad for extra protein!
For the Salad
- 2 cup quinoa, dry
- 8 cups, dark green kale
- 1 cup red, seedless grapes
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- 4 tbs pecorino Romano cheese, shredded
- Juice of 4 lemons
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tbs honey
- 4 tbs Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Gather all ingredients and equipment.
- Place a medium sauce pot over medium heat, add 4 cups of water to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Rinse 2 cups of quinoa thoroughly until soapy residue no longer appears. Add the quinoa to the pot.
- Cover and cook on medium/low heat for 15-20 minutes or until all of the water has dissipated. After 15-20 minutes, remove the pot from heat and keep the lid on for an additional 5 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork when finished. Remove the quinoa from the pot and allow it to cool, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ingredients for vinaigrette.
- Remove the fibrous ribs from the kale and massage the leaves in your hands until they become tender and slightly dark.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the kale, 2 cups of cooked quinoa, red grape halves, and raw sunflower seeds. Stir to thoroughly mix.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad and toss to coat everything evenly. Top with pecorino Romano cheese and enjoy!
Servings: 4 | Serving Size: 2 cups of mixed salad
- Cal: 548
- Total Fat: 36g
- Carbs: 42g
- Protein: 14g
- Sodium: 280mg