Kale, Mandarin & Bacon Grain Bowl
12 ingredients · 40 minutes · 6 servings
1 cup Uncooked Quinoa
8 cups Kale Leaves
6 slices Organic Bacon
2 tbsps Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
3/4 cup Pomegranate Seeds
1/2 cup Pistachios (chopped)
1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Avocado (cubed)
1. Prepare quinoa according to package instructions. Feel free to use low sodium chicken or vegetable broth for additional flavor. When quinoa is done cooking, place in the refrigerator to cool.
2. While quinoa is cooking, remove stems from the kale and discard. Finely chop the
leaves, then wash and spin dry. Place dried kale into a large bowl, then add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. With your hands, massage the kale for about 2 minutes. This helps to tenderize its fibers and reduce its bitterness.
3. In a skillet over medium heat, slowly cook the bacon, turning frequently to desired
crispiness (5 to 7 minutes). Drain on paper towel. When cool enough to handle, crumble into bite sized pieces. To make recipe vegan, substitute bacon for 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
4. Peel the mandarin oranges, pull apart the wedges, then cut each wedge in half.
5. Add the quinoa, chopped mandarin oranges, pomegranate seeds, roasted pistachios,
red wine vinegar, and olive oil to the bowl of kale. Toss with spoons to incorporate, then transfer to your favorite serving dish.
6. Garnish with cubed avocado and crumbled bacon, then serve! Great option for a make
Vitamin D 0IU
Vitamin B12 0.1μg