Umami Steak Bun
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 lb Sirloin Steak Or Strip Steak (1-1¼ inches thick, trimmed)
- 6 oz Wide Rice Noodles
- 1/2 cup Rice Vinegar
- 2 tbsps Fish Sauce (see Note)
- 2 tbsps Sugar (or to taste)
- 4 cups Shredded Napa Cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups Shredded Carrot
- 1 cup Thinly Sliced Radishes
- 1 cup Slivered Fresh Basil And/Or Mint
- 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Unsalted Roasted Peanuts
- Heat oil in a large skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium-high heat until shimmering. Reduce heat to medium, add steak and cook, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest on a clean cutting board for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook rice noodles until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes or according to the package directions. Drain the noodles and rinse under cold water.
- Whisk vinegar, fish sauce and sugar to taste in a large bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Slice the steak into thin matchsticks. Add the steak and any accumulated juice to the bowl along with the noodles, cabbage, carrot, radishes, basil and/or mint and peanuts; toss to combine. Serve immediately.