Whole Wheat Rigatoni Bake
- 1 lb. whole wheat rigatoni
- 2-3 cups chopped heirloom tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese of choice (I used Asiago)
- Pesto (recipe follows)
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup kale
- 1 cup basil
- 3⁄4 cup almonds or pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup Parmesan or Asiago cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. While the water is boiling, chop tomatoes in half.
- While the pasta is cooking, place all the pesto ingredients in the food processor until smooth. You may have to push the spinach down periodically to get everything moving. You should end up with 2 heaping cups of pesto.
- Toss the cooked noodles with the chopped tomatoes, pesto, and enough water to make it a little saucy.
- Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle with the cheese. Cover loosely with well-oiled aluminum foil and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.