No-Bake Mac & Cheese
Today we show you how to bump up the nutrition on a classic comfort food. Mac & cheese is loved by many, however it is not always the healthiest choice. By opting for whole wheat noodles and sneaking in some veggies we're sure you're going to love this twist on a traditional favorite!
- 8 OUNCES whole wheat elbow noodles
- 1 10-OUNCE PACKAGE frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 ¾ CUPS low-fat milk, divided
- 3 TBSP flour
- ½ TSP garlic powder
- ½ TSP salt
- ¼ TSP ground white pepper
- ¾ CUP shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ CUP shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 TSP Dijon mustard
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 4 minutes. Add frozen broccoli and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the past and broccoli are just tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 ½ cups milk in another large pot over medium-high heat until just simmering.
- Whisk the remaining ¼ cup milk, flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl until combined. Add the flour mixture to the simmering milk, return to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in cheddar, Parmesan, and mustard until the cheese is melted.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli and add to the cheese sauce. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until health through, about 1 minute.
Recipe adapted from EatingWell.com