Ultimate Glute Workout
Your glutes, butt, booty, junk-in-the-trunk, or scientifically—gluteus maximus (any of three muscles in each buttock that move the thigh, the largest of which is the gluteus maximus), is one of the largest muscles in the body. Tone your tush with these 6 exercises in “Tabata"-style (i.e. 20 seconds movement:10 seconds rest; 30:15; 40:20, etc. for 4 rounds each):
(i.e. the pictures below are in order of exercises listed, for reference)
1. Leg Lift Tap: Lying comfortable on your side, keep your legs straight & lift your top leg towards the ceiling. Reach the top leg forward to tap the floor in front of you, before returning back to the starting position.
2. Booty Chair Kicks: Holding onto a sturdy chair, lift one leg up with a bent knee. Then, kick that same leg back behind you, reaching as far as you can. Alternate right & left legs for the movement.
3. Reverse Flutter Kicks: Lying on your stomach with the head & neck resting comfortably, lift up the legs & cross one foot over the other in a fast-paced motion.
4. Weighted Donkey Kicks: Starting on your hands/knees, with hips/knees & shoulders/wrists/elbows lined up, place a weight behind the knee (i.e. smaller dumbbell). One leg at a time, while squeezing the weight behind the knee, lift the leg with a flat foot towards the ceiling; making sure to alternate legs.
5. Glute Bridge March: Lying on your back with knees bent & feet flat on the floor, hold your hips up in a bridge position. Begin by pushing through the floor with your upper body & feet to “march” or step the legs up/down.
6. Weighted Glute Bridge: Lying on your back with knees bent & feet flat on the floor, hold a weight on your hips. Initiate the movement by pushing through the floor with your upper body & feet to lift the hips up/down.