7 Benefits of Quinoa
Quinoa made a big appearance around 2012 and there’s a reason why it has stuck around. It is still very much used in healthy recipes and chic restaurants around the world. Dating back to 4000 years ago, this "super grain" is a great source of energy and packed with nutrients.
Here are just 7 of the benefits you can get from incorporating quinoa into your diet.
1. Quinoa is one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat. It is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids.
2. Quinoa contains almost twice as much fiber as most other grains. Fiber is most widely known to relieve constipation and is also associated with lowering cholesterol and blood sugar levels, helping to prevent heart disease and diabetes. The bulk that fiber provides in your diet helps you stay fuller longer, which can aid in weight loss.
3. Quinoa is very high in antioxidants. Antioxidants are substances that neutralize free radicals and are believed to help fight aging and many diseases.
4. Quinoa is naturally free of gluten and using it instead of typical gluten-free ingredients can increase the antioxidant and nutrient value of a gluten-free diet.
5. Quinoa is high in important minerals like iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc - nutrients that the modern diet often lacks.
6. Quinoa is high in Riboflavin (B2). B2 improves energy metabolism within brain and muscle cells and is known to help create proper energy production in cells.
7. Quinoa has a high content of manganese. Manganese is an antioxidant, which helps to prevent damage of mitochondria during energy production as well as to protect red blood cells and other cells from injury by free radicals.