NUTRITION TIP THURSDAY
Trying to get the most out of your healthy food choices? When eaten together, these food combos provide the most nutritional benefit! Salsa and guac anyone?
Great food combos:
- Tomatoes & Avocados
- Tomatoes are rich in and antioxidant called lycopene. The healthy fats in avocados make lycopene more bioavailable in your body.
- Oatmeal & Orange Juice
- Compounds called phenols are found in both of these foods and help to stabilize LDL cholesterol - the "bad" cholesterol that can lead to plaque build up in your arteries if there is too much in circulation.
- Eating a variety of fruit together provides a synergistic effect in the body - more than just an additive effect. Fruit consumed together has been found to have a greater antioxidant response.
- Lemon & Greens
- The body can better absorb the plant-based iron found in leafy greens with the addition of vitamin C found in citrus fruit, like lemons.
- Peanuts & Whole Wheat
- The amino acids (protein building blocks) that are missing from whole wheat are found in peanuts. Eaten together they provide a complete protein - protein that contains all the necessary building blocks to build up muscle in your body.
- Turmeric & Black Pepper
- Piperine, the hot component in black pepper, enhances the bioavailability of turmeric's active agent curcumin by 1000 times.
Click here for more info on the power of pairing these foods!