Turkish Get-up Form
Exercise: Turkish get ups
Muscle Groups Targeted: All
Importance: The Turkish get-up is a total-body exercise that increases torso stabilization and overall strength. It's a very functional movement and includes many of the most basic human movement patterns.
- Lie on your back on the floor and hold a dumbbell or kettlebell in one hand with your arm fully extended above your chest
- Bend the knee of the same side to a 90-degree angle
- Keep your opposite leg straight, and place it 5-10 degrees away from the midline of your body
- Start by lifting the dumbbell to the sky, and crunching onto your opposite elbow, keep the elbow of the arm holding the dumbbell locked out
- Push your hips in the air and sweep the straight leg underneath the body, stepping back and settling onto your knee
- Shift the weight away from your hand and onto your knee and front foot as you bring your torso upright
- Push to a standing position, keeping the dumbbell lifted the entire time.
- Work backwards starting with the movement you just completed and end back on the ground
- Switch sides and repeat
- Start with light weight until you get the movement pattern down and then slowly move up to heavier weights.
- Make sure you are in control of your core the entire time to avoid injury.
- The movement is great for warming up before any weight lifting workout.