Pulse and Pause Squats
Exercise: Pulsing and Pausing squats
Muscle Groups Targeted: All muscle groups in a squat - squats, hamstrings, glutes, core
Importance: Adds variety to the standard squat
Re-inform yourself with the proper standard squat form here!
- Stand in your squat stance
- Lower yourself into the bottom of your squat
- Once you're there, slightly pulse 2-4 inches from the bottom of your squat
- Make sure you are using your glutes here! It is very easy to "quad out" and get mostly a quad workout.
- Keep your body straight, core tight, chest up, shoulders back
- Similar to the start of the squat or pulse squat: start in squat stance, lower yourself into the bottom of your squat
- Once at the bottom, make sure to NOTICEABLY pause for 1-3 seconds
- After you have paused, squeeze your glutes and go about half way up. Pause at the halfway mark for 1-3 seconds
- After your mid way pause, lower yourself back down to the bottom of your squat and pause again for 1-3 seconds.
- After the pause, squeeze your glutes and come all the way to the top (standing position). That's one rep.
Reps: Pulse squats - do anywhere from 10-50 pulses depending on level of fitness
For pause squats, make sure your are not just gliding through the mid way and bottom parts of the squat. Make sure there is a noticeable pause at the bottom, middle, and bottom again.
- 5 pulse squats (with 10 pulses)
- 10 core rows (total)
- 5 pause squats
- 10 plank jacks
- 5 squat jumps
- 10 bent over rows
- 5 squats
- 10 TRX tricep extensions
Complete 3-5 rounds OR as many rounds in 25 minutes.