Turmeric: The Trendy "Super Herb"
NUTRITION TIP THURSDAY
There’s been a lot of buzz lately around the super herb Turmeric.
What is it? Turmeric is a spice that comes from the turmeric plant. It is commonly used in Asian food. Turmeric is the main spice in curry. It has a warm, bitter taste and is frequently used to flavor or color curry powders, mustards, butters, cheeses and the new trendy golden latte.
Benefits? Turmeric is used to alleviate joint pain, relieve headaches and common colds. Research suggests that taking turmeric extract by mouth twice daily for 3 months reduces total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, and triglycerides in individuals with high cholesterol. Check out an immune-boosting turmeric latte - recipe below!
Golden Milk Tea Latte
- 2 cups of milk of choice (recommend unsweetened non-dairy or skim milk)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Pinch of black pepper (better absorption)
- Tiny piece of fresh, peeled ginger root or ¼ tsp ginger powder
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Pour into a small sauce pan and heat for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Drink and enjoy!